For a brief introduction video, watch our short video.
To assist the industry in improving system safety, RailTEC at Illinois has key infrastructure research and testing thrust areas that touch almost all layers within the track structure.
Track Loading Environment Quantification
- Vertical, lateral & longitudinal rail loads
Fastening Systems | Traditional (spikes and anchors), Elastic, Direct Fixation, etc.
- Lateral and longitudinal loads
- Rail seat pressures
- Broken spikes
- Rail seat deterioration (RSD) mechanisms
Crossties | Concrete, Timber, Composite, etc.
- Flexural design
- Moment quantification
- Curl (due to temperature)
- Load distribution
- Under ballast mats (UBMs)
- Under tie pads (UTPs)
- Joint Bars
- Under tie pads